Friday, August 27, 2010

Love Me Some Ottobre!

So, it's been a while since I've sewn and thusly it's been even longer since I've posted on this blog. I have to admit, this particular post is kind of selfish because I'm hoping (fingers crossed!!!) that I win the drawing at the Ottobre Design blog, but I really do want to share with my sewing friends, as well, the nifty-cool-neato wrap that Ottobre has included in the newest issue.
If you were around in the '80s, you might remember this collection of garment pieces--pants, a shirt, a skirt, and this tube thingy--that were all kind of interchangeable. Really, only the tube was interchangeable, but it gave the outfits so many different options--you could wear it around your waist/hips, you could scrunch it and....
....
Honestly, upon actually thinking about it, I can't really remember any more of the combinations that this outfit getup had. But I know there were more options.
I guess the point is, I never had that collection and I wanted it more than I wanted some Z. Cavaricci jeans (which was a whole heck of a lot). Alas, none of these fancy-pants things were sold at the K-Mart and Goodwill stores we shopped at. None of my older cousins wore them, either, so I couldn't count on them for hand-me-downs. It sucked being a poor kid...
.....
So, now that we all feel awkward, let me just redirect this bird to the point I was trying to make. I happened to be thinking about that garment collection the other day in my 'Man, that was a really cool concept and I wish I could have afforded those (probably not really that expensive, in retrospect, but not super-cheap, either) clothes.
Lo and behold, I saw the newest issue of Ottobre online very soon thereafter--probably the next day--and they had this....tubey thing....that reminded me so much of that outfit I desperately coveted.
So the cool part is, now I'm an adult and I can sew. When I get this pattern (and the other awesome stuff that comes in that magazine--great patterns this time!), I can sew it up, probably to a higher standard of quality than was available in the mid-'80s and certainly for a pretty penny cheaper. I'm pretty giddy with the possibilities.
In case you're wondering which of the nine alternative ways I'm going to try first, I'm favoring numbers two and four, although I really kind of dig number one, as well. I'll probably hack the pattern as well to try to make my dream '80s outfit.
It's going to be a fun sewing month! :)

No comments: